Is ORLY Nail Polish Non-Toxic?



While most people love to get their nails done, we don’t often think to check how it is made or what it contains. 

Unbeknownst to us, a lot of nail polish is made with harmful chemicals and can be very bad for your health.

Luckily we are not one of those brands. All ORLY nail polishes are non-toxic and made out of top-quality ingredients. 

In this article, we will delve deeper into what classifies ORLY nail polish as non-toxic, as well as why it is so much more important than we realize for nail polish not to have toxins in them. 

What This Article Covers:

ORLY Nail Polish Is Non-Toxic

As we mentioned, all of our different types of ORLY nail polish are non-toxic and free of any harsh chemicals. 

All of our nail polishes are 12-free. 12-free is a term used to describe nail polish when it is free from a number of harmful chemicals. 

Nail polishes can be anywhere from 3-free to 12-free. The higher the number, the better. This means that it contains fewer chemicals, and is much better for your nails.

In our case, all of ORLY’s nail polishes are 12-free, which is quite impressive as nail polishes go.

Our products are free from the following chemicals:

  • Formaldehyde
  • Formaldehyde Resin
  • Camphor
  • Xylene
  • Toluene
  • Ethyl Tosylamide
  • MEHQ/HQ
  • Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
  • MIT
  • Parabens          

Along with questioning if ORLY is non-toxic, people also usually pose the question of “Is Orly cruelty-free?” We are proud to say that Orly is 100% cruelty-free and is also Vegan friendly.                 

Why Is It Important For Nail Polish To Be Free Of These Harsh Chemicals?

The toxins from nail polish are extremely harsh on your body and health. They can lead to problems with your skin, immune system, and even your hormonal development. 

Luckily more companies are moving away from using toxins. What started from products being packed with chemicals to being 3-free (free from only 3 harmful chemicals), to some now being 12-free like we at Orly are. 

Being 12-free and non-toxic is important and beneficial for a few reasons that we will discuss below. 

Non-toxic Nail Polish Is Better For Your Health

is orly clear coat nail polish non toxic

Non-toxic nail polish is much better for your health. Toxic nail polish is filled with chemicals such as formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), and toluene. These are known as the “toxic three” and are extremely bad for you.

As we mentioned, ORLY nail polish is free from 12 harmful chemicals. We will be discussing some of those chemicals, and what they can do to your health, giving you an idea why Orly is so beneficial and just an overall better choice for you. 

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is used to strengthen and harden nail polish. The use of it has been linked to miscarriages, allergic reactions, asthma, and nausea. 

Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)

This toxic chemical helps to increase the durability of nail polish and gives it an extra shine. This product has been classified as an endocrine disruptor and has been linked with kidney and liver damage, as well as even affecting the reproductive system.

Toluene

Toluene is a form of neurotoxin, and neurotoxins have been known to cause neurological damage, as well as damage to your hearing, breathing, and brain function.

Another dreadful aspect is that pregnant women who inhale the fumes from toluene frequently can end up with birth issues, and developmental defects of their baby.

Camphor 

Camphor makes nail polish look shiny and glossy. Unfortunately, it can cause allergic reactions for some people, and inhaling it can make you feel dizzy and nauseous, and cause headaches.

As you can see, the toxins in nail polish are a lot more dangerous than people think, or realize, they are. 

This is why choosing ORLY’s non-toxic nail polish will be much better for you, and those around you.

Non-toxic Nail Polish Smells Better

Toxic nail polish usually smells awful and makes you smell as if you have just walked out of a chemical factory. 

This can be very unpleasant for you to have to endure and can bother people who you surround yourself with too. 

As we also mentioned earlier, it is not just the smell of the nail polish that doesn’t smell great, but inhaling the fumes from it is also not good for you. 

Filled With Vitamins And Minerals Instead

ORLY nail polishes have been removed of all the bad stuff, and instead, have been packed full of vitamins and minerals. 

This is very much in the consumer’s favor, as it nourishes, hydrates, and strengthens your nails while you are wearing it, as opposed to damaging them as the chemicals do. 

All ORLY nail polishes are packed with Argan Oil, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin Pro B5.

ORLY Nail Polish Strengthens Your Nails Rather Than Destroying And Damaging Them 

Nail polish that is made with toxic ingredients damages your nails and makes them brittle and weak. 

As we mentioned, ORLY nail polishes are filled with vitamins and minerals. This helps to hydrate the nails and nail beds, stimulate growth, and protect them. 

What is even better, is that we also offer specialized nail treatments to strengthen and repair nails that have been damaged from wearing too much nail polish, or from nail polish that has toxins in it. 

Fighting for a top slot in this category is ORLY Bodyguard vs Builder In A Bottle, which are both designed to nourish your nails as you wear them. 

Another strong contender is Nailtrition. This is a treatment to fix broken and damaged nails, and if you have a look at the Orly Nailtrition you will see how simple and easy it is to use. 

ORLY Nail Polish Is Great For Children

Nail polish that contains toxins is not recommended for children until they pass the stage of adolescence. 

Orly products are 100% safe for toddlers. We have also been asked “Is ORLY No Bite safe for toddlers?”, and we are happy to say that it is. 

The fact that we don’t have any chemicals or toxins in our products means that toddlers can wear it on their nails, and even suck their fingers, and it won’t do any harm to them.

ORLY Nail Polish Is Suitable For Women Who Are Pregnant

Toxic nail polish is not recommended to be worn by pregnant ladies, as the fumes from toxins such as Toluene can cause pregnancy defects and birth problems. 

Luckily, that is not a worry with ORLY’s nail polish. Our nail polish is completely safe to be worn during pregnancy and won’t cause any problems for you or your baby.

Did you enjoy reading our blog? Then consider checking other guides: