Allergic to Nail Polish
Despite the popular saying, beauty does not have to be pain. You need to know when irritation or discomfort from nail polish is your body’s way of telling you that you are allergic to a certain nail polish. We are going to teach you how to spot a nail polish allergy and how to avoid the culprit.
Your nail polish should make you feel great about yourself and any irritation you may experience from nail polish is not normal. Simply avoiding nail polish is not ideal for many people. Not only is it a fun way to express yourself, but you may also use nail polish to strengthen nails.
Most people would not recognize the link between strange side effects and the nail polish they are using. That is why it is so important to know your body’s reactions to a polish it does not like.
It is important to note that nail polish is not generally dangerous or harmful. If you have a reaction, get the polish removed and avoid polishes with the triggering ingredient in the future.
Having an allergic reaction to nail polish is not always as straightforward as a hand rash. Some reactions may look as if they have nothing to do with your hands or nails at all. Let us show you how to spot these reactions.
Symptoms of Nail Polish Allergies
There are a variety of different reactions you can have if you are allergic to nail polish.
Blisters on the hand area would typically be the most obvious symptom of a nail allergy. It is more of an extreme symptom but the blisters can range from small to large. They can also be itchy and very uncomfortable.
You could also experience a rash anywhere on your body after getting your nails done if you are allergic to the polish. These rashes can be red or even invisible to the eye. The thing to look out for is a patch that feels itchy on your skin.
Any pre-existing skin conditions that you may have, such as eczema, may flare up in an allergic reaction as well.
If you are suddenly looking like you received lip fillers, you may be having a reaction. Strangely enough, lip swelling and rashes around the lip area are common allergic reactions to nail polish.
Looking extra tired lately? Those dark circles could be a symptom of an allergic reaction and not fatigue. They can mean that there is some swelling in your sinuses which irritate your eye area. This can also result in redness or itchiness in the eyes.
If you are experiencing symptoms akin to seasonal allergies, the actual culprit could be your nail polish and not the change in weather. This happens when you are allergic to the fumes emitted from the nail polish.
What about fungal nail infections? Fungal nail infections are where your nail becomes discolored(white, brown, or yellow), thick and fragile. Fungal infections can occur for a number of reasons.
Can nail polish cause fungus? Thick nail polish blocks light to your nails which is conducive to fungus growth. If you are prone to fungus infections, make sure to choose a light breathable nail polish.
If you have an infection already, you can get a clear antifungal nail polish or tablets to treat the infection. Another option is an antifungal serum which is even easier to apply than nail polish.
If you experience any of these symptoms it is advisable to get your nail polish taken off as soon as possible. This should reduce your symptoms almost immediately once the cause of the reaction is removed.
How to Avoid a Nail Polish Reaction
If you are able to get a diagnosis for the particular allergen you are reacting to, it is much simpler to avoid those types of nail polish. If not, you can still avoid the common allergens contained in many of these polishes.
The main allergen in nail polishes is said to be tosylamide formaldehyde resin. Other common allergens include toluene, free formaldehyde, acrylates, and methacrylates. Luckily, good nail polish brands these days either avoid this preservative completely or offer a version that is free from it.
Even if the label says it is allergy-friendly, check the label for any of these ingredients to stay on the safe side.
Generally, you are safer using normal or gel nail polish as opposed to acrylic nails. Unless you know the business very well, you are also a lot safer investing in your own polishes to do at home rather than at a salon.
This is because you can control the cleanliness of your tools and the brands you use. You can invest in the best cruelty-free nail polish that is allergen-free as well.
Repairing Nails Damaged From Allergic Reactions
If you have damaged nails from an allergic reaction to gel polish, there are a few tips to getting your nails back to their healthiest state.
Your allergic reaction may have left your nails in a bad state. Make sure to only use a reputable nail polish brand that is formulated without harmful ingredients. Pair this with regular cuticle care and you should improve the state of your nails in no time.
In terms of promoting nail growth after an allergic reaction, acrylic nails are not your best bet. The best nail growth polish is either normal polish or gel polish.
Will gel polish strengthen nails? If you have weak or brittle nails, a layer or two of polish makes them less prone to breakage. As long as you are removing the nail polish correctly, the polish can help protect and strengthen your nails.
If you are purchasing peel-off nail polish, make sure you only use the best peel-off nail polish or this can contribute to fragile nails. Remember to look for a brand that uses no ingredients that tend to cause allergic reactions.
You can also purchase polish that is specifically to strengthen brittle nails. This is perfect for those wanting to grow their nails.
Did you enjoy reading our blog? Then consider checking other guides:
- What Is The Healthiest Manicure For Your Nails
- Why Does My Nail Polish Peel Off
- Nail Polish Hacks
- How To Keep White Nail Polish Clean
- Does Gel Nail Polish Chip
- Why Does Nail Polish Crack
- Can I Cut My Nails With Gel Polish
- Why Does My Nail Polish Bubble
- How To Remove Hair Dye From Nail Polish
- Can You File Nails With Gel Polish